Tuesday, August 27, 2019

God Is Closer Than You Think


Image result for closer than you think

A few years ago, I was rushing through a hectic morning and I was on the hunt to find my glasses. Time was ticking. An appointment was looming, and I had to get out the door. I couldn’t find them anywhere. I searched high and low and they were no where to be found. What had I done with them? Did they fall under my bed? I wonder, did my kids run off with them? There are few things more frustrating than searching and not finding.

I walked in front of the bathroom mirror, sighed and muttered a prayer. “Lord, where are they?” A split second later I looked into the mirror and I spied them. Those long-lost glasses were neatly folded and in my front shirt pocket! I chuckled. How could I be so blind?! Talk about a case of hidden in plain sight. I had worried and fretted over something that was nearer than I could have realized.

That experience took me back to the days just after the tomb burst open and Christ emerged victorious over death and the Devil. Have you ever noticed there’s an interesting theme running through the Gospels at this point? The disciples who followed Jesus, and presumably knew Him better than anyone else, could not see Him. Take a peek at these verses and you’ll see:

Luke tells us about the two disciples walking on the Emmaus Road, “15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him.” (Luke 24:15-16)

Remember Mary Magdalene’s case of mistaken identity at the garden tomb? “14 Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus . . . 15 Supposing him to be the gardener” (John 20:14-15).  

While Peter and other disciples were out fishing, Jesus showed up on the beach, “4 Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus” (John 21:4).   

What muddies the water even more is that Jesus told His followers on multiple occasions what they ought to be looking for—His resurrection from the dead (Matt. 20:17-19). Still, when it happened, they did not have eyes to see the obvious.

Do you find it difficult to see God in your adversity, suffering and grief? The disciples were in a maelstrom of emotions after Jesus’ death and perhaps it was impossible for them to see the Risen Christ through a veil of tears and a shattered worldview. We often see what we want to see in life. Our expectations can create a mirage. We can become blinded and distracted to the obvious. We don’t expect to see God in our disappointment, so we don’t look for Him.

Yet, in each of these instances where was God? He was right there walking with them, waiting for them to see. Don’t let adversity blind you to His proximity. God is much closer than you think. “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matt. 28:20). -DM

No comments:

Post a Comment