Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Bananas in a River


Image result for psalm 23:5 prepare a table wilderness

At just nineteen-years-old Bruce Olson left for the mission field deep in the mountainous jungles of Columbia. He felt called by the Lord to attempt a breakthrough with the hostile and superstitious Motilone Indians, a group deemed by other missionaries as “unreachable.”

Because the Motilone were infamous for acts of violence, Olson could not find any mission organization to support him in this endeavor. So he was on his own. During his quest to the Motilone village he was captured by another group of unfriendly Indians, shot with arrows and imprisoned for several days. Olson was able to escape in the middle of the night, but he was badly injured and lost in a maze of thick jungle.

He trudged for days following a river downstream hoping it might lead to civilization. Fever sapped his strength and made him delirious. He hadn’t eaten much for four days and he was barely hanging on by a thread. Olson cried out to God for a miracle and here’s what happened:

“On the afternoon of the fifth day I wearily dropped into a seat between two huge boulders. I looked at my fingernails, blue from the cold water and my hands pale as a sheet. My whole body groaned with pain; my stomach ached with hunger. I started to shake and couldn’t stop. Could I go on any further? I didn’t see how. I needed food and rest. As I looked into the distance, something bright yellow seemed to be waving up and down on the surface of the water. I thought I was delirious. I rubbed my eyes. Then it came into focus. Bobbing along in the current was a stalk of bananas. I grabbed them as they floated by. I couldn’t believe it. They were ripe too. I ate them slowly and I felt them giving me strength and a new hope. I remembered the words of Psalm 23:5, “Thou preparest a table before me in presence of mine enemies.” God had given me a table in the middle of the jungle, a table of ripe bananas.”[1]

Olson got up, walked another half mile, and stumbled into a village. He was nursed back to health and eventually did reach the Motilone Indians with the Gospel.

Image result for bruchko bruce olson    Image result for bruchko bruce olson

If you study Psalm 23:5 in context, it’s a picture of the hard work that the shepherd must exert in order to prepare a barren land for his sheep to graze upon. There are rocks to disgorge, briars to clear, predators to be driven away and channels of water to be cut. Yet the shepherd sweats and toils so that he can guide the flock to a safe and verdant pasture that is surrounded by wilderness.

As our Good Shepherd, Christ promises His sheep this kind of protection and provision. Our Shepherd meets our needs even in the most remote places and amid predatory foes. Spurgeon commented on this verse, “The Lord prepares for his children, just as a servant does when she unfolds the tablecloth and displays the ornaments of the feast on an ordinary peaceful occasion. Nothing is hurried, there is no confusion, no disturbance, even though the enemy is at the door. Yet God prepares a table, and the Christian sits down and eats as if everything were in perfect peace. Oh! the peace which Christ gives to his people, even in the midst of the most trying circumstances!”[2] 

-DM


[1] Bruce Olson, Bruchko (Lake Mary, FL: Charisma House, 2006), 75-76.
[2] Charles Spurgeon, Treasury of David, Psalms 23:5 <https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/treasury-of-david/psalms-23-5.html>

No comments:

Post a Comment