Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The Reluctant Evangelist


Image result for evangelism

Clayton King, the pastor of New Spring Church in SC, tells the story in one of his books about how he had been preaching at youth camp one week and at the end of the trip he became sick with the flu. He could not wait to get home because he felt so rotten. But as he was waiting in the airport terminal to board the plane he saw a young man in a blue sweatshirt and at that moment the Spirit spoke to Clayton, “I want you to talk to that man about Christ.”

Clayton resisted saying, “I made every excuse for why I could not witness to him. After all I was sick and didn’t want him to catch the flu.” Clayton said he got on the plane, took his seat, pulled his hat down over his head so he wouldn’t be bothered. But the Spirit wouldn’t stop badgering him. He said, “I made a bargain with God, ‘Alright Lord, I will witness to him if his seat is beside me on the plane.”

A few minutes passed, and Clayton said, “I felt someone plop down in the seat beside me. I opened one eye and peered out from under my baseball cap, only to see, you guessed it, the man in the blue sweatshirt. OK, God wins! I give up.”

Image result for clayton King

                                                        Clayton King

Clayton said he struck up a conversation with the man and he asked, “So what do you do for a living?” “I’m a preacher,” Clayton replied. The man asked, “Wow! This is amazing. I’ve been looking for someone who understands the Bible and can tell me if there really is a heaven and hell and how I can be saved.”

Clayton explained the Gospel and asked the man if he wanted to receive Christ. To which he replied, “Heck yeah! This plane might crash and I might die. It would be a tragedy to come this close and then not get saved.” After they prayed, Clayton said, “We both started crying. He was crying because He’d just met Jesus and I was crying because I had been such an unwilling, ungrateful disciple that I didn’t deserve the privilege I had just enjoyed.”[1]   

Clayton’s story is so relatable because many of us at times are reluctant evangelists. We hem and haw around with God making excuses for why we can’t share Christ. Evangelism like so many other disciplines in the Christian life boils down to simple obedience.

The truth is that if we are keeping silent about Christ then we are being disobedient to the Great Commission. I often hear the excuse, “Evangelism isn’t my spiritual gift.” That sounds spiritual, but it’s a poor copout because evangelism isn’t a gift. It’s obedience. Here's how Paul explained it to Timothy, "As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." (2 Tim. 4:5).  

The Gospel is simply glorious and gloriously simple. You don’t need a seminary degree to explain the Good News. If you have trouble memorizing Scripture then you can never go wrong just telling them about what Jesus did for you. Tell them who you were before Christ, how you met Him, who you are now after Christ and how they can make the same decision by believing and receiving Christ. Think of it this way—if you’re a Christian, it’s because somebody told you how to be one. -DM




[1] Clayton King, Journals of a Mad Man (Boiling Springs, NC: CJ King Designs, 2006), 42-46.  

No comments:

Post a Comment