Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Shoebox and the Lamb

Image result for shoebox lamb

Every year Samaritan’s Purse distributes millions of shoeboxes across the globe through its Operation Christmas Child. This is an amazing ministry that puts a gift and the Gospel in the hands of needy children all over the world. Recently, SP shared one amazing story about a shoebox that was received in 1996 by a six-year-old boy, Luis from Panama.

Luis recalled the utter joy that exploded from his heart when he opened his shoebox and found a stuffed toy lamb that played the melody of “Jesus Loves Me.” He wrote, “The stuffed lamb in my shoebox was the first toy I ever received. I still have it. It was really a treasure. It played a little song and was so beautiful. It was so tender, so soft.
The little face of the lamb was something I loved. I used to pretend I was playing with a real lamb. After I finished playing with it, I always put it back inside my plastic shoebox. The lamb made me smile every time I saw it because I would remember the day people gave me the shoebox.”

Luis came from a family that had never been to church, much less heard the name of Jesus. Yet, his life changed when he read the letter inside the box which said, “Jesus loves you and I love you.” Luis said, “Because someone took a moment to write down “Jesus loves you and I do too,” it allowed me to see that even though I didn’t have a father and even though I don’t have a perfect life, He’s there for me. I lived in the ghetto. We didn’t have anything. I was hopeless. The shoebox allowed me to understand that God cared for me.”[1]

At age fourteen, the dots were all connected for Luis when he understood the Gospel message and the significance of the lamb in the shoebox. It’s a story that goes back long before the first Christmas to Exodus 12, the first Passover, which today still commemorates God delivering the Hebrew slaves from bondage. Every house that was covered with blood of the lamb escaped death. In the same way, Jesus became our Passover lamb (1 Cor. 5:7) when He perfectly fulfilled everything in the symbolism of the sacrificial lamb. Those who are covered by the blood of Christ have forgiveness of their sins (John 1:29) and escape God’s eternal wrath (John 11:25).       

That incredible story highlights the importance of this special season. In so many ways, Jesus’ birth was like that of a lamb. The birth of this Messiah-King was celebrated that night only by Mary, Joseph and a handful of shepherds. The shepherds had been in the fields around Bethlehem, guarding the lambs which would die at the next Passover.

When the angels appeared to them they told them about a special sign to look for when they went looking for the Christ-child. In Luke 2:11-12 we read, “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” Have you ever wondered why this would be a sign?

We gloss over that verse and don’t catch the significance of what God was trying to communicate to the shepherds. But this sign was something they would understand because of their occupation. The shepherds knew what this sign was all about because they had done it.   

Sheep that were raised in the fields of Bethlehem and destined to for the Temple in Jerusalem had to be perfect specimens. They could have no spot, blemish or broken limbs. When the shepherds would birth new born lambs they would reach into the mother’s womb, pull the lamb out, then they would wrap the lambs in swaddling because if it harmed its limbs in any way it would be disqualified as a sacrifice. Once the lamb was wrapped, he was laid in a manger until it was calmed down and ready to return to its mother.[2] 

No wonder then that the shepherds recognized the significance of what they saw in the manger. The birth of Jesus was orchestrated in such a way that it would be a preview of his sacrificial death as the Lamb of God. The angels declared to men who were considered sinful and out of fellowship with God that the ultimate Passover Lamb had been born and His blood would cleanse sinners and bring even the outcasts into fellowship with God. Mary’s little lamb, was destined for the altar of Calvary.

I am reminded of a poem that I first heard Adrian Rogers recite:

Mary had a little Lamb. His fleece was white as snow.
Son of God from Heaven above, for sinners here below.
Mary's Son, Eternal God, He — the Great I Am,
With wool so white on Christmas night became a little Lamb.

Mary had a little Lamb. His fleece was white as snow.
That spotless Lamb was crucified to pay the debt I owe.
Oh, spotless Lamb, with wool so white, Thy crimson blood, I know,
Can take away my crimson sin, and wash me white as snow.[3]    -DM





[1] “Luis and a Lamb,” Samaritan’s Purse <http://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/shoebox-stories-luis-and-a-lamb/>
[2] Michael Norten, Unlocking the Secrets of the Feasts (Nashville: Thomas Nelson/Westbow, 2012), 5-6.
[3] Adrian Rogers, “Mary’s Little Lamb,” Love Worth Finding <http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/love-worth-finding/read/articles/marys-little-lamb-9632.html> 

No comments:

Post a Comment