Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thankful for Thanksgiving

 


In her ministry of compassion, Mother Teresa rescued numerous people from the mean streets of Calcutta. When she received the Nobel Peace Prize for her humanitarian efforts in 1979 she told the following story in her acceptance speech.

     “The poor people are very great people. They can teach us so many beautiful things . . . One evening we went out and we picked up four people from the street. And one of them was in a most terrible condition – and I told the Sisters: You take care of the other three, I take of this one that looked worse. So I did for her all that my love can do. I put her in bed, and there was such a beautiful smile on her face. She took hold of my hand, as she said one word only: Thank you – and she died.

       I could not help but examine my conscience before her, and I asked what would I say if I was in her place. And my answer was very simple. I would have tried to draw a little attention to myself, I would have said I am hungry, that I am dying, I am cold, I am in pain, or something, but she gave me much more – she gave me her grateful love. And she died with a smile on her face.

        Another man we picked up from the drain, half eaten with worms, and we brought him to the home. He said, “I have lived like an animal in the street, but I am going to die like an angel, loved and cared for.” And it was so wonderful to see the greatness of that man who could speak like that, who could die like that without blaming anybody, without cursing anybody, without comparing anything.”[1]

                                                                      Mother Teresa 

Have you ever been in a situation like those street urchins that Teresa rescued, where the only thing you have to offer someone is simple gratitude? Few things are more humbling. I would submit to you that’s how we are before Almighty God. We are spiritual beggars that have nothing to offer Him except our thanks. Ephesians 5:20 says, “giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

According to Bible scholars, the Scriptures tell us over a hundred times, either by imperative or by example, to be thankful.[2] So, if quantity implies gravity, then it’s quite evident that God takes thanksgiving seriously. But have you ever stopped to think why? Why does our gratitude matter to God?

Psalm 50:23 offers a clue. “The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies Me.” Thanksgiving is about properly ascribing glory to God’s goodness, faithfulness and kindness. When worshippers glory in something they revel in it and draw attention to its worth. Yes, thanksgiving is for God, but its also for us. When we glorify God in gratitude, we actually benefit from it. We need thanksgiving or else life would be full of grumbling, complaining and discontentment. It has been said, “Gratitude is a vaccine, an antitoxin, and an antiseptic.” Gratitude, like a vaccine, can prevent the invasion of a disgruntled spirit. Like an antitoxin, gratitude can prevent the effects of the poisons of cynicism and grumbling. Like an antiseptic, a spirit of gratitude can purify our perspective—showing us all that we have.  

Thank God for thanksgiving! We need it and God deserves it. It’s the right and fitting thing to do for the Lord and the best thing we can do for ourselves. -DM



[1] Mother Teresa, Nobel Lecture, 11 December 1979 <https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/1979/teresa/lecture/>

[2] Max Lucado, Before Amen: The Power of a Simple Prayer (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 2014), 83.

No comments:

Post a Comment