Wednesday, November 18, 2020

But God, How Could You Say "No"?

 


Just the other day my one-year-old daughter brought me something that left me wondering how she got ahold of it. Let me preface this story, by saying that little Lydia is a BUSY baby. She’s into everything: climbing on chairs, playing in the toilet, opening up cabinets. We do the best we can to “baby proof” our house, but let’s just say that she’s constantly on the move.

Anyway, back to my story. Lydia came trotting into the kitchen and handed me a small package. Upon closer examination I discovered that she had brought me a sample size bar of soap. She had been digging around under the sink again! As I held it in my hand, I tried to explain to her what it was and that it was not edible. “This is soap, baby. You can’t eat it.” She must have thought it was a cookie or a piece of candy because when I hid it from her, she threw a tantrum. The tears started rolling! How could I have deprived her of a tasty treat? Such is life with a busy-body toddler.

Later when I reflected on that moment, I realized that her response to my parental guidance must be like the way our Heavenly Father deals with us. How many times do we bring our requests to God in prayer, only to be given the dreaded “NO” answer? We protest, become disappointed and even jaded that somehow God is withholding some great blessing from us.

Or what if God closes a door to a job, ministry or move that we thought was a sure thing? Are we willing to accept God’s wisdom and way better than our own? I know that many right now are upset about the 2020 election and the overall direction our country appears to be going. We prayed. We voted. We campaigned and tried to persuade others to our point of view. Yet, it appears that for half of America they will not get the candidate they supported. But isn’t the Scripture true when it says, “He changes times and seasons; He removes kings and sets up kings” (Dan. 2:21). The reality is that we don’t like it when God says “NO” anymore than when a child doesn’t get his or her way all the time.  

Here’s what the cry of Lydia taught me when I didn’t let her eat that bar of soap. First, often times we ask the Lord for things that’s either not His will or will be a curse rather than a blessing to us. James 4:3 says, “You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.” Second, God is more loving and wise than we could ever fathom and He will always answer our prayers the right way. Luke 7:9-11 reminds us what Jesus said, “Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!” It has been said that “If we knew everything that God knew, then we would answer our prayers exactly how He does.” Third, when God gives you a “NO” then simply give Him a “Thank You” because He was protecting you from less than the best. When God says “NO” we are tempted to wonder if He really loves us, but the fact is that because He says, “NO” proves His love. -DM

No comments:

Post a Comment