Tuesday, June 14, 2016

That's My Dad

That’s my dad with the sturdy frame and the tender heart
The man who helped get me off to a good start
He doesn’t wear a cape, but to me he’s a hero
Because he taught me how to fish, and build and grow

That’s my dad with the calloused hands and the old work truck
The man who toiled all day just to earn a buck
He was never rich or famous, but he’s someone to look up to
Because he led me like real men are supposed to do

That’s my dad up in the stands at the ball game
The man who loved me just the same
He was there if I struck out or missed the shot
And He’d still hug me and say ‘I love you a lot’

That’s my dad with the belt that was ten feet long
The man who showed me right from wrong
He was not perfect, but I know long after he’s dead
I’ll remember how his life looked like Jesus’ words in red 

That’s my dad with mama after all these years   
The man who loved her through sickness and tears
He showed us kids how to love and how to pray
And because of him, I am the man I am today

-DM

No comments:

Post a Comment